Emergency Closures & Delays
Notifications of District Emergency Closures & Delays
In the event of bad weather, district officials will make the decision whether or not to close or delay schools, or release schools as soon as possible. If no announcement is made the district is operating as usual.
Notifications about operational adjustments due to bad weather are made by:
- ParentSquare & StudentSquare notifications will be sent out to all district staff and families. Notifications may be sent as a phone message, text message, email and/or push notification for app users.
- Messages will also be posted to Salem Keizer Public School’s Facebook, X and Instagram accounts.
- Information is sent to our FlashAlert emergency message website
- News media are notified of the closures and delays.
- KXL 101 FM - FM News
- KWIP 880 AM y 103.9 FM (Español) - La Compeona
- KWBY 940 AM y 1460 AM y KSND 95.1 FM (Español) - La Pantera
- KEX 1190 AM - News Radio
- KSLM 1220 AM and 104.3 FM
- KYKN 1430 AM
- KBZY 1490 AM
- KMUZ 88.5 FM and 100.7 FM - Community Radio
- KOPB 91.5 FM
- KYCH 97.1 FM - Charlie FM
- KMWV 98.3 FM (6 p.m. - 10 a.m.) CCTV
- KTUP 98.3 FM (10 a.m. - 6 p.m.) Español - Radio Poder
- KKRZ 100.3 FM - Z100
- KRSK 105.1 FM - The Buzz
- KATU Channel 2
- KOIN Channel 6
- KGW Channel 8
- KPTV Channel 12
The Statesman Journal
The Salem Reporter
Delays & Early Dismissal
When Schools Open Late
- Morning buses will run two hours later than normal.
- Morning buses will run one hour later than normal if the delay occurs on a Wednesday.
- District morning preschools will be canceled.
- District afternoon preschools, unless specifically closed, will be on normal schedule.
- Head Start AM preschools will be canceled, but afternoon preschool will be open.
Delayed School Bell Schedules
All schools will follow this schedule on ANY DAY when a delay is announced.
Early Dismissal Due to Bad Weather
Each school has an emergency plan in case of early dismissal due to inclement weather. Contact your student's school for more information regarding their emergency plan.
Weather Transportation Adjustments
Each year, the district works to support successful operations for all schools in the case of inclement weather. This year, the district will begin implementing snow routes for certain areas commonly impacted by poor weather. In the case of route adjustments due to cold weather, all families impacted by a change will receive direct notification with details on their transportation stop times and locations.
School District Staff
As a member of Salem-Keizer staff, if you are unsure if you should report to work during inclement weather or other emergency please refer to Reporting During Inclement Weather, HUM-A002.
Late Start - Licensed Staff
When school is delayed district-wide due to inclement weather, licensed staff's reporting time is delayed by the same amount of time as it is for the students. For example, if the start of the school day is delayed by 2 hours, then licensed staff reporting time is delayed 2 hours from their normal reporting time.
Late Start - Classified Staff
Classified staff reporting time is also delayed by the same amount of time as the students, except for the following: 12-month employees and those who are designated as essential staff (i.e., office managers, custodial, maintenance, transportation mechanics and support staff) are to begin at their normal start time or as soon as it is safe.