Our goal is to teach kids to become independent problem solvers. Help your child develop a self-improving system.
Here are some suggestions:
- When they get stuck … don’t tell him/her the word but, ask what makes sense?
- Let them re-read the sentence, sound out the first letter of the tricky word.
- Slide your finger under the word and put the letter sounds together.
- After the word is worked out, re-read the sentence with the correct word for fluency.
- Be patient, you and your child will feel great about reading if you respond to errors in a positive way.
- Build confidence… When correcting an error you might say… “That makes sense, but…” or “you are close, but…”
- When they say “I don’t know”… respond by saying “Let me show you how YOU can work this out”.
Reading is a skill will all build on, and we improve with practice. Allow your child to re-read a familiar book to develop new strategies and bring meaning into their reading. And remember to always make it fun and relaxing!